Visit the Collections
Research using the collections
Everyone is welcome to make an appointment to visit Insight: Collections and Research Centre, for academic and professional research or personal interest. You can:
- Study prints by some of the world's greatest photographers or examine apparatus evidencing the history and development of photography, film and television.
- Undertake personal research, perhaps about your family or where you live, or bring in your own items to find out more about them.
- Access our library of specialist publications and journals.
- Three print rooms housing over 3.2 million photographs and three stores containing thousands of items of equipment and apparatus.
- Our reference library housing an extensive collection of books, periodicals, journals and trade literature.
- Photographic and conservation studios.
- A suite of viewing and study rooms, including a purpose-built print viewing room where groups can view material they have personally selected.
How to make an appointment
Appointments are available during the third week of the month, Monday – Friday, 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm.
To book, contact our Collections Access Assistant by emailing:
Alternatively, write to Collections Access Assistant, National Media Museum, Bradford, BD1 1NQ.
Places are limited, so please give us as much notice as possible to avoid disappointment.
Guided tours of the collections
Free guided tours of Insight: Collections and Research Centre take place from Tuesday - Thursday at 1pm.
Places are limited, so please book in advance by contacting the box office on 0844 856 3797.
If you would like to book a group tour, we recommend that you book in advance through our Collections Access Assistant by emailing:
Do let us know if you are interested in any particular aspect of the collections.